find out what is going on inside my head. i know it is a little scary, but you will be safe. i promise.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Guy Time

For those of you who are not aware, I have three sons. I am convinced that raising boys is probably easier than raising girls. That does not mean it is easy, just easier than girls. There was a situation which arose with one of my sons that made it clear to me that I needed to be more intentional and strategic with the time I spend with them. I have added a new item to my calendar. Once each week, usually on tuesday evening, I take one of my boys out for some time alone together so we can talk. That's it. There is no big agenda. We just talk. It has been a great time of getting to know my children again. Last night, it was my middle son's turn. It was a beautiful, chilly evening. We went to Starbuck's and drank hot chocolate and talked. He sometimes does not talk much. But if you get him alone and ask questions, he will have a great conversation with you. I want my children to know that they can talk to me about anything. This is one of the ways I am setting the stage for that. If you have children, what clear steps are you taking to know them? How are you preparing them for the future? Be sure to comment.

2 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

That is a great idea. I love the "My Three Sons" pictures. Ha ha . Haven't thought of that show in years. But, it is really your house!

Liz said...

John, I love this! Larry & I try to have "dates" with our kids periodically. But aside from those sweet one on one days/evenings for our dates, we spend a lot of time just talking to the kids individually & as a group whenever they want to talk. (of course, we also spend a lot of time telling them each to shut up b/c we have borne a brood of chatty kids who never hush!) Honestly, I think that's the best thing you can do. Talk, talk, talk, talk. And yes...in many ways, raising 3 boys IS easier than 3 girls!