find out what is going on inside my head. i know it is a little scary, but you will be safe. i promise.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Ike, Overused Phrases, and Not Really News


My goal is to post at least every other day. My last post was on Friday and today is Monday. As you can see, I did not meet my goal. But it was a busy weekend. Unless you live in a cave, you are probably aware that there was a hurricane. Hurricane Ike. You could rename Galveston Tina. Some of you will get that. It was not a particularly powerful storm. It was only a category 2. But it was big. Bigger than Texas big. That is how I spent my weekend. It was windy and rainy, but it was not really bad here in Tyler. I have a brother and sister-in-law in Alvin who had some damage to their home. Due to their jobs, they were unable to evacuate. I am not even a little bit jealous of them.


During preparations for the storm, I watched a fair amount of the local news for the weather reports. There are always grossly overused expressions in the news media, but during hurricane Ike, there was one that truly got on my nerves. If Mark Scirto told us one more time to "hunker down", I thought I would have to punch him right through the television. Everybody I talked to was hunkered down. Everybody encouraged me to hunker down. My family hunkered down. I was so tired of hearing about hunkering down, I refused to hunker. I was willing to batton down the hatches, hole up in my home, seek shelter, or any of a number of options. But I was sick of being hunkered down. That has to be the most overused phrase of this storm.


Those of us who work in ministry sometimes struggle with being relevant. (Speaking of overused expressions.) Apparently, it is not only churches that strive to be relevant. With almost all the news – even the national news – devoted to hurricane Ike, it apparently could make for a slow news day in other parts of the country. Check out this headline from the Fort Collins Coloradoan. This is a perfect example of trying too hard.


Do you have any good, or at least interesting, stories from the hurricane this weekend? Share them with me and the three others that might read this.


Grace & Peace,

John

1 comment:

Liz said...

I am laughing at your "hunker down" discussion here. I, too, was sick of hearing about hunkering & go to the point that I was using the word as a synonym for just about every other verb as a joke. i.e. Hey Larry, I'm going to go hunker us some supper.....Kids, you better go hunker those rooms.....I'm tired, I think I'm going to go hunker under the covers. LOL Ugh...I wonder if there is a hunkerdown.com?