find out what is going on inside my head. i know it is a little scary, but you will be safe. i promise.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl by N.D. Wilson


In Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl, Nate Wilson takes us on a rambling journey exploring the world we live in and the God who created it. Taking his cues from the four seasons, he describes with “wide-eyed wonder” the work of God in creating and sustaining the universe.

When I referred to the book as a “rambling journey”, I am not kidding. There were many instances where I was, and am still, not sure where Wilson was going. He speaks in various creative terms: novel, play, poem, drama, etc. It was often hard to tell if he was talking about us as humans, God as creator and sustainer, or the earth as the creation. It might have been all of the above.

Perhaps, I am not the target audience. I accept that possibility. Someone a little younger than my less than forty years may get it. It is almost as if Wilson is trying a little too hard to write like Donald Miller (Blue Like Jazz), another author’s popularity I do not understand. Maybe that is where I should leave this review. If you like Miller, you might like Wilson.

More information about Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl, including a preview, can be found at Thomas Nelson’s product page. I am a member of Thomas Nelson’s Book Review Blogger program.


3 comments:

Liz said...

So have you typed up your review yet? I just recently back a Thomas Nelson reviewer myself & am still waiting for my shipment of my first book. I skipped over this particular book b/c I didn't think I'd like it, so I'm curious to read your full review when you post it.

wjcollier3 said...

liz, that is the review. they wanted a short (about 200 word) review. as far as i am concerned, be glad you passed on this one. i wish i had. which one are you getting first?

Liz said...

Oops...sorry! LOL! I was thinking 200 words would look really lengthy. Since I didn't count the number of words, I didn't realize that you covered it!

I picked the Jack Hanna (kid's) animal book. I'm going to read it, let the kids read it, watch the DVD that came with it & then sell it on half.com or amazon. If it doesn't do well, I'll just put it in my classroom at school.