find out what is going on inside my head. i know it is a little scary, but you will be safe. i promise.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

On Facebook

I have a facebook page. Or account. Or profile. The truth is, I don't know what I have or what I am supposed to do with it. I know I have access to facebook and it has information about me. I signed up because the church I am privileged to serve has a facebook whatever. Now we are friends. How exactly are you friends with a church? Never mind.


I have several friends on facebook. I don't know what I am supposed to do. We can't hang out or go to the movies or go out to eat, but they are my friends, I think. Apparently, facebook has simplified friendship to simply a request and acceptance of friendship. If only real life were as simple as that.
Real friendship requires a level of intimacy and sacrifice that facebook (or any of the social networking sites) can possibly offer. Friendship on facebook reminds me of the old George Strait song, "Check Yes or No." (See the video here.) It is not as simple as checking accept or reject on a friend request. You invest in real friends and genuine relationships.


On a lighter note, she who must be obeyed has been on facebook for a while now. When I noticed she was spending quite a bit of time there, I found this video and sent it to her. If you are her facebook friend, you have likely already seen it. If not, enjoy.




Are you on facebook? What do you do there? Any suggestions for me? I don't know what I am doing and feel lost every time I log on. Leave a comment (and some help). Thanks.

Grace & Peace
John

No comments: